I thought it might be fun to do a "day in the life" post so we can look back on this and remember how busy (and fun!) our "relaxing" weekends are :) Our dog Lucy woke Ted up at "five something" to go outside. Then Madeleine came and asked if she could come snuggle, and Lucy wanted breakfast. So Ted and Madeleine swapped spots around six this morning. M and I finally got up for good around 7:45 a.m. (yawn!) when Julia was (lovingly) screaming "MAMA!!! MOM! MA! MA! MAMA!!!" from her crib. What can I say, she likes me. After diaper change (Julia, not me) I decided to make quiche for breakfast - found a great recipe, but the dough took an hour to rest in the fridge. Ted entertained the girls while I made the dough. I think I may have said a prayer for crusty goodness... or maybe it was something more along the lines of, "this had better be friggin GOOD." After that was put together and resting, we made coffee and I started on a couple loaves of oatmeal bread. While that was rising, we finished the quiche and baked it. Around 10... Breakfast was served! The prayer/threat worked - the quiche was fantastic.
We decided to make cookies for Ted's co-worker's birthday. Got well into the making of the dough and realized we only had one (of two needed) eggs. Understandably, Ted was pretty tired, and J was ready for a nap, so we put both of them down and M and I went to get more eggs, and an extra sled for a fun afternoon adventure! We also got a birthday card for cousin Zaine (which I picked out) and one for Ted's coworker Jonathan (which M picked out). M is a fan of all things pink - so he got a pink card with a cupcake on it. She's not as concerned about the message as I am. Pink=good. Pink+Cupcakes=Great.
We got home and finished mixing the cookies, then Madeleine colored and stickered birthday cards for Jonathan and her Zaine while they baked.
After the cookies were baked, cooled and packaged, Ted and J woke up from their naps and we all got dressed for sledding. We headed to the hill around 3:00, and played for an hour - it was a GREAT day for sledding, and there were loads of people out. M LOVED sledding and J... well, she didn't love all of it, but enjoyed it enought to call it a successful outing. When we were done, we headed to the TV station to deliver the cookies and smiles!
We returned home just in time to quickly change clothes and head to 5:00 church. Thank goodness we have such a loving group of people. It was mentioned several times how wonderful it was to see J dancing around. She was pretty quiet, and everyone smiled at her - we call that a good service. M was an angel the whole time. She colored in her water book from my folks.
On the way home ... let's just say we were out of wine when we started the day and now we're not. J fell asleep in the car and we just put her straight to bed.
Dinner was leftover stew and home made bread (and wine). Dessert was cookies (and wine).
The day has come to a close now - I've edited some pictures, M is "baking" breakfast in her play kitchen. So far I've had a crescent roll, peas and a potato. Kind of plastic-y, but she means well. ;)
Whew! So - that's today's slice of life. It's wonderful, and busy, and fulfilling and just perfect. Hope your day was perfect, too!
Saturday, January 28, 2012
1-28-12 cookies and sledding
Posted by Cara at Saturday, January 28, 2012




