The inspiration for this blog came from our friends Bill and Jeni, who have a Caring Bridge page for their son Roman. I love being able to check the site for updates to find out how they're all doing, and I thought that our family and friends would enjoy that with our pregnancy too.
For a little background, Ted and I had said from the start of our marriage that we were going to pay off all of our debt (except for the house, of course) then save up and go to Scotland, and then start a family. Baby fever got the best of us and we decided it would be OK to be pregnant while on vacation. I guess that the fates liked our first plan better, because we weren’t pregnant while on vacation, but six weeks after we got home (12/1/06) we found out we are expecting our first child.
The morning of 12/1 I woke up at 5:30 a.m., and was compelled to take a pregnancy test, but I was afraid to see a big ‘ole negative. I took the test, and then jumped in the shower right away so I wouldn’t be tempted to stand over it and watch for a line to come up. After I turned the water off, I slid the curtain aside and tried to see the test from the shower. I couldn’t see a darn thing – so I got out and tiptoed over to the test, and lo and behold there were two lines! I was so shocked and excited that I took a second test, this time digital. In a matter of minutes, “pregnant” popped up on the display! Holy cow! So I quickly dressed and ran to Wal-mart to buy some cute bibs for Clarence and the gang as a way to tell Ted. I also picked up a very cute card and another test (just to make sure…)

When I got home, I wrote "We Did it!! Congratulations Daddy :)" in the card and left it on the top of the stairs for Ted. Then I put the bibs on the gang of furry friends and set them across the top of the bed, along with the positive pregnancy tests.
Ted came home on his lunch hour and picked up the card (without opening it) and then walked into the bedroom. He saw the animals and then knew something was up and immediately opened the card and then called me at work :)
And just for posterity's sake, here's my profile a couple of days after we found out (12/6/06) at 4 weeks and 3 days...

Wednesday, December 20, 2006
12-1-06 Background/How I found out/How I told Ted
Posted by Cara at Wednesday, December 20, 2006
